Address: Via Corleto
District: Pieve Corleto
Explaination: The current church does not have particular attractions, if not the balance of the architecture, a late work of G.Battista Campidiori. The painting on the main altar is a copy (1920, of an original by Cisari). Instead, the “oratory style” crypt divided into three naves is exceptional (it dates back to different periods according to different scholars, but the most probable is the XI century). It is made up of recycled material that is much more ancient, mainly Roman, such as columns in exotic rocks (two in marble and two in granite), capitols that are different amongst themselves and of different thicknesses to compensate for the various heights of the columns with vaults on top, then bar bricks, an inscription, a part of a house re-used as architrave, a VI century capitol and a stone crown at the top of the façade of the old church to support an iron cross and finally, fragments of a medieval road cross in “spungone” (a kind of calcareous sandstone) once at the nearby intersection and finally, fragments of a medieval road cross in “spungone” (a local calcareous sandstone) once at the nearby intersection and broken by a truck a few years ago.
Sundays and public holidays: Holy Mass is celebrated at 11.00 am.
Directions: The easiest access is along Via Emilia towards Forli’ for around 5 or 6 km, turning left just after the village of Cosina in a well visible road that is Via Corleto. There are alternative routes for those wishing to reach the locality by bike, through country roads north and south of the Via Emilia (use a simple map of the Municipality, it is possible to ask for one at the Pro Loco Faenza). The church is normally closed, but it is possible to ask permission to visit at the adjacent club.