Municipalities: Municipalities:Faenza

Address: Corso Matteotti

Tourist offices:

Explaination: S.Agostino has had this name only since the XV century, even though the Augustine fathers were already in the church in 1256. Before this the church was dedicated to San Giovanni Evangelista and was also called San Giovanni in Sclavo due to the patronage of the ancient and possibly Longobard Sclavi family.In 1271 the church took on Gothic shapes of which little remains (traces of windows, arches, various wall parts) on the external left side (on the Sant’Agostino lane) and the same happened in the adjacent convent, of which the door of the Capitol room remains together with the beautiful wall arches in cotto under the left side of the cloister. Tradition has the presence of two important religious figures in this church: Martin Luther (an Augustine monk)and the still young Gerolamo Savonarola. Whilst the first is not confirmed, the second is certain and refers to the preaching in this church of an Augustine after which Savonarola (passing through Faenza on his way to his native Ferrara) decided to take his vows. At the beginning of the 1700’s the church took on its current Baroque shapes, the work of Carlo Cesare Scaletta and then of Raffaele Campidori, perhaps with the collaboration of the Head maestros Antonio and Gianbattista Boschi. The bell tower, of 1712, was unfortunately made to explode by the Germans in 1944 and was badly rebuilt in 1962 with poor quality bricks, very different to the original in colour and aspect.The most important work of art is an early 1500’s table (Madonna and Saints) of the Faentine Sebastiano Scaletti, set in a not very happy position up high along the left nave. In the left part of the presbytery there is also another unfinished canvas with the “Madonna di Casola”, a rare work by the Faentine Domenico Matteucci, one of the greatest local ceramists of the XX century.

Timetable:

Sundays and public holidays: Holy Mass is celebrated at 9.00am and 11.00am. Saturdays at 5.00 pm.

Directions: This is a church functioning as a parish and is normally open every day, even with irregular hours. If it is closed, it is possible to ring the doorbell in the adjacent rectory and ask permission to visit. The easiest way to reach the church is from Piazza del Popolo towards south, along Corso Matteotti, where the church is located in a small widening on the left.