Address: Via Garavini, 19

Contacts:
Telephone: 0546/656622 (home of Parish priest).

Tourist offices:

Description: The first information of the church dates back to 1396. The land it was built on belonged to the parish church of Campiano and it is not known for certain if S. Petronio was under this parish or directly under the Curia of Imola. The original church was situated where today there is the third chapel (dedicated to S. Caterina), and then was rebuilt in 1428, much larger. Ten years later the bell tower was built. The church was built in trusses with eight side chapels and five windows. The façade of the church faced west and was restored in 1616 and coloured red, whilst over the door there was the image of S. Petronio. The main altar was originally behind the choir stalls, but in 1574 was moved to the centre of the main chapel. In the same year the tabernacle was also built, placed over the main altar. In 1592, thanks to a donation by Cardinal Ginnasi, a column taken from the church of S. Michele in Monte S. Angelo (in the Gargano region in Puglia) was brought to the church of S. Petronio: this column was placed in a niche to the side of the main altar and from 1653 in the second altar in the left aisle. The old bell tower to the south east of the church, built in 1438, was around 35 m high and had three bells. The tower was damaged by the earthquake of 4th April 1781 and then rebuilt in its ancient style, but the whole bell tower was destroyed by bombings on the 24th December 1944.S. Petronio was consecrated on the 2nd March 1788 by Cardinal Chiaramonti. The golden façade has three entrance doors, two windows that give light to the side aisles and a large lunette illuminating the nave. The interior of the church has a nave and two aisles with pronounced coupled Ionic columns and is covered by a large barrel vault with caissons, the work of Alessandro Della Nave and Antonio Villa. The church measures 44 m in length and 24 m in width; it has seven altars, one main altar and six side altars. The first altar to the right is dedicated to S. Andrea Avellino and has a statue of Santa Teresa by Lisieux; in the second altar there is a beautiful late Gothic fresco of Madonna con Bambino (Madonna with Child) that was re-elaborated in the 19th century. Under there is a statue of Baby Jesus adorned in a precious 18th century dress; in the third chapel there is a statue of S. Girolamo by Alfonso Lombardi and a statue of S. Giovanni Battista by Ottavio Toselli. The main altar is in scagliola stone and was rebuilt in 1867; behind the choir stalls there is a group of polychrome terracotta statues by Alfonso Lombardi (a Crucifix with Mary Magdalene at the bottom and to the sides, Our Lady of Sorrows and S. Giovanni Evangelista, of the 16th century). In an oval on the cymatium, there is S. Petronio, the work of Felice Giani. To the sides of the main altar is the precious organ and San Petronio protettore di Bologna e Castel Bolognese (protector of Bologna and Castel Bolognese), a canvas by Angelo Gottarelli (1740-1813). Between the two columns of the nave there is a statue of San Petronio, a copy of the original wooden statue of the 1200’s housed in the church of S. Petronio in Bologna, a donation to Pio IX from Bologna and then to Castel Bolognese. In the nave to the left is the baptismal font, whilst the first chapel has the Visitation of the Virgin to St. Elizabeth and on the side, Girolamo and San Lorenzo, all works by Alfonso Cittadella also known as il Lombardi. In the second chapel is an altarpiece depicting Sts. Emidio and Domenico with a martyr saint, a work by Benedetto dal Buono whilst in a window there is the Madonna of the Rosary, a late gothic work by Giovanni da Riolo (end of the 15th century). In the last chapel is a 12th century painting of San Michele Arcangelo by Francesco Longhi. Closing the nave is the winter chapel or the Madonna di Lourdes, a reproduction of the French grotto created in 1933 with rocks extracted from the Chalk Vein of Casola Valsenio. The vestry is to the east of the bell tower and has a large engraved piece of furniture in walnut of the 18th century and other important canvases. There are also other important parish works that have been enriched with the cleverly restored cellars.

Timetable:
Opening hours:

Weekdays: The church can be visited every day and Mass is celebrated at 8.30 am and 8.15 pm. Mass time on Saturdays is 6.00 pm.

Sundays and on Public holidays: Mass is celebrated at 8.30 am, 10.00 am, 11.15 am, 5.30 pm (in winter) or 7.30 am and 6.30 pm (in summer)

Period open: The Church is open all year round.

Rate:
Entrance fee: Free.

Directions: From Piazza Bernardi take via Garavini. You can see the main façade after a few metres on the left.